Award for Advocacy by DBMH SIG memberPurpose of Award:
The award recognizes leadership in advocacy efforts that advance achievement of the annual DBMH SIG goals of encouraging advocacy, awareness, and influence around prevention, early recognition, treatment and referral of patients with developmental, behavioral, and mental health needs. These goals are aligned with the NAPNAP strategic plan. The award will help to defray the cost of attending the national conference. Description:
• What the award will be honoring or distinguishing The application-based award is intended to recognize a member of the NAPNAP DBMH SIG for advocacy efforts aimed at developing and disseminating information in clinical practice, state/federal legislative arenas, or research that addresses DBMH issues for children and families.Timeline:
Applications will be accepted beginning 11/15 annually
• Award amount $1000
• Funding source DBMH SIG
• How often a member can apply for or receive award Members are eligible to apply annually but may only receive the award
once Q3 years.Requirements:
The member-applicant must make a significant impact through advocacy-related activities aimed at prevention, early recognition, treatment, education, and referral of patients with DBMH needs. The member must be able to document the impact of their actions at the national, state, regional, or local level.
Examples of such advocacy-related activities are: letter writing campaigns, preparation of advocacy materials, attendance at lobby days, building relationships with congressional offices and/or state or local officials, and participation on committees or commissions on legislation or advocacy at the state or national level, including health systems development work. The award recipient is expected to present their advocacy efforts to the SIG membership in a formal manner (e.g., presentation at annual conference SIG meeting, poster presentation, or other medium).
Other stipulations requested: NAPNAP requires that there be at least two applicants in order for this award to be evaluated and awarded. If this requirement is not met, the
applicant will be contacted and encouraged to re-apply for the award during the next award cycle. If no applications are received or the applicants do not meet the qualifications for the award, no funds will be distributed for the year.Submission deadlines:
Submission deadline will be 12/15 annuallySubmit your nomination via the SIG Awards application: Apply today!
Marketing plan for award Information will be posted on the DBMH SIG site, on NAPNAP’s website and the SIG membership will receive an email about the award and application process.Criteria for Qualification:
• Membership status or open to non-members: Must be an active member of DBMH SIG
• Minimum membership timeframe: One year DBMH SIG membership
• Certification requirements: None
• Required letters of support: None, though letters of support highlighting advocacy efforts may enhance an application
• Required personal statement: Letter written as an application to the DBMH SIG Board identifying the member’s advocacy efforts and the impact of those efforts.
• Other qualifications to be considered: Must attend the national conferenceReviewers:
• Number of reviewers: Four
• Who should review the applications: DBMH SIG Board: Chair, Co-Chair, and Secretary (Board members are not eligible for the award) and one member member-at-large reviewer (non-DBMH SIG member)
Reviewer Evaluation Based on the Following Rubric:
Scoring Criteria (maximum possible 25 points)
DBMH SIG membership: (1 point for each year of DBMH SIG membership, up to 5)
Advocacy efforts related to DBMH prevention, early recognition, treatment, education, and referral (up to 5):
0 points = no listed advocacy efforts
5-10 = evidence of beginning advocacy efforts (e.g., 1 to 2 beginning activities with minimal involvement)
11-15 = evidence of progressively visible or impactful involvement in DBMH advocacy activities (e.g., multi-year effort)
16-20 = evidence of advocacy efforts at a national, state, local or regional level
Total points (up to 25)